The representatives of the National Preventive Mechanism Department of the Human Rights Defender’s Office paid unannounced two-day visits to the Aparan Unit and detention facilities of the RA Police’s Aragatsotn Regional Department, Spitak, Tashir and Vanadzor City’s Taron Units and detention facilities of the Lori Regional Department, as well as RA Ministry of Justice’s “Vanadzor” Penitentiary Institution.
During the visits, private interviews were held with persons deprived of liberty, and examinations were made of their detention conditions, the state of their rights’ protection and compliance with the required standards, as well as the documents pertaining to the interviewed persons in the above-mentioned locations.
In the monitored detention facilities, issues were recorded in connection with:
- use of glass partitions during visits of relatives and observation of the visits through them,
- organization of medical examinations of those entering places of deprivation of liberty and the recording of their results,
- the necessity of renovation and sanitary activities, etc.
Issues were recorded at the “Vanadzor” Penitentiary Institution regarding:
- sufficient staffing of medical service unit,
- isolation of persons deprived of liberty and lack of targeted activities and projects during their isolation,
- the recording of external examinations, their course and results,
- occupations, such as the availability of educational and professional development programs,
- the necessity of organizing social-psychological activities,
- the necessity of renovations and sanitary activities, etc.
The issues raised during the visits were discussed with the administrations of the mentioned institutions. The recorded issues will be summarized, and recommendations for their solution will be presented to relevant bodies.
During the monitoring, the representatives of the National Preventive Mechanism did not encounter any obstacle.
The steps undertaken to resolve the raised issues will be at the center of the Defender’s attention.